Women hospitalised due to ‘contaminated’ cocktail

October 25, 2023
Clyde Mooney

An investigation has been launched after the Health Minister’s wife and a friend had to be rushed to hospital after being served a “contaminated” cocktail in a Wollongong club.

NSW Health Minister Ryan Park’s wife Kara Lamond attended The Fraternity Club in Fairy Meadow with a friend, last Thursday.

Served margaritas with the rims dressed with salt that is thought to have been contaminated, the two women sustained burns and required immediate medical attention.

They were rushed to Wollongong Hospital with injuries said to be consistent with having ingested caustic soda, which an expert suggests could “literally eat a hole in the side of your oesophagus” and would have prompted an instant burning sensation.

Lamond and her friend have since been discharged from hospital and are expected to make a full recovery.

A spokesperson for Ryan Park confirmed that police report investigations are currently underway, and that the matter has been ruled an ‘accidental drink contamination’ and no criminal offences have been identified.

The NSW Food Authority was notified the following day and immediately attended the venue to investigate, assisted by NSW Police.

The Fraternity Club has also been working with police and a spokesperson says moves are already in play to prevent any possible further occurrence.

“We take this incident very seriously and have engaged an independent work, health and safety organisation to review our processes and fine-tune staff training, to ensure it is not repeated.”

It is not yet known how the salt became contaminated.

Minister Ryan Park and wife Kara Lamond. Image: Facebook


contaminated salt, Fraternity Club, NSW Food Authority, NSW Health Minister

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Subscribe to our newsletter now!